It’s hard to ignore Hudepohl as a Cincinnati brewery. They were a powerhouse post-prohibition all the way into the 80s when they faced the same fate as many other breweries around the country did… a death dealt by big beer and changing tastes of the country. At their largest, they were operating two different brewing facilities in the city, bringing beers such as Hudy 14-k and Hudy Delight to meet the changing tastes of Cincinnati. Started by Louis Hudepohl, and run by his family for years afterward Hudepohl has found a new revival in Cincinnati’s rebirth into the growing craft beer world. This could very well be “Cincinnati’s Beer” for years to come.
- Hudepohl 14-K
- Hudy Delight
- Christian Moerlein Super Premium Beer
- Pace Pilsner
- Ludwig Hudepohl Original Bock Beer
- Ludwig Hudepohl Special Oktoberfest Beer
- 1885 – Louis Hudepohl jr and George H. Kotte buy the Buckeye Brewery
- 1891 – They were producing 100,000bbl per year and expanded the brewery to meet demand.
- 1893 – Kotte dies, and his widow becomes Hudepohl’s partner.
- 1899 – Hudepohl becomes the sole owner and the name is changed to the Hudepohl Brewing Company.
- 1902 – Louis dies, and his wife, Mary Elizabeth takes over the business.
- 1919 – Prohibition begins, and the brewery makes near-beer and soft drinks.
- 1923 – Celia, the daughter of Louis and Mary Elizabeth takes over the business.
- 1928 – Production ceases due to low business.
- 1933 – The brewery reopens after prohibition
- 1934 – The brewery purchases the former Lackman Brewery and operates both locations.
- 1946 – They were producing upwards of 900,000bbls of beer.
- 1958 – Brewing operations were consolidated to the former Lackman location.
- 1978 – Hudy Delight was introduced to compete with Miller Lite.
- 1980 – Christian Moerlein Super Premium was introduced as a “better beer”
- 1983 – Pace pilsner was introduced as a low alcohol option light beer, also released around this time were Ludwig Hudepohl Original Bock Beer and Ludwig Hudpohl Special Oktoberfest Beer. A new $7 Million keg facility was added to the brewery.
- 1986 – The brewery merged with one-time rival Schoenling to become the Hudepohl-Schoenling Brewing Company.