All About Sonder Brewing
Sonder Brewing can be described by showcasing the stories that make it happen. The stories of the people that work there, the stories about the beers, even the stories behind the folks that fill up the taproom. Their identity is in a state of constant evolution… which can be summed up by the word ‘Sonder’ as well. It’s a fairly recent “made-up” word that describes an experience that I think we’re all familiar with:
sonder n. the realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own—populated with their own ambitions, friends, routines, worries and inherited craziness—an epic story that continues invisibly around you like an anthill sprawling deep underground, with elaborate passageways to thousands of other lives that you’ll never know existed, in which you might appear only once, as an extra sipping coffee in the background, as a blur of traffic passing on the highway, as a lighted window at dusk.
How do you wrap a big idea like this into a brewery? Every beer tells a story. Every pint is a journey and a different one for each person that sips at it. With that… Sonder is always working on big things and they work hard to meet the needs of a lot of different people.
What’s Sonder Like?
Sonder’s Brewery and Beer Garden space in Mason is the perfect place to meet and gather with your friends or family. They have a big taproom and a HUGE outside area with a patio and green space. It’s open, it’s bright, it’s almost like it’s a blank canvas designed to become whatever you want it to be at that very moment that you’re there.
The brewery hangs its hats on a lot of different beer styles. While they are fully capable and love to dive deep into traditional styles (especially traditional German styles) they aren’t afraid of pushing the limits with newer, trendier styles as well. An award-winning barrel program tops off a brewery that, again… will meet the needs of everyone and anyone at any given moment.
The Complete Sonder Timeline
- Spring, 2017 – The owners close on the property, and construction on their taproom begins.
- 10/27/19 – The brewery hosts their Grand Opening celebration
- September 26-27 2019 – Sonder hosts their first annual Oktoberfest celebration.
- 11/8/19 – The brewery unveils the first beers from its line of a barrel-aged sour program.
- April 2021 – Sonder expands its distribution south to Kentucky
- September 2021 – Sonder takes home their first GABF medal for a Gin Barrel-Aged Sour Ale
- 1/17/23 – The brewery announces plans for its second taproom, this one in West Chester Ohio.