The history of Arnold’s is some really great stuff. The bar was first opened all the way back in 1861, and a lot of it hasn’t changed very much since then. I’m fairly certain, though, that when Simon Arnold opened his doors more than 150 years ago, he would have never been able to predict that the bar would one day be hosting an event quite like this one.
The Weird Beer Weekend
This is the second year in a row that the bar has hosted this event, and with last years run-away success it only makes sense that they do it again. After all… this city loves craft beer. More importantly, it’s starting to really look like this city is willing to experiment with what “normal” beers really are.
Arnold’s says that they scrounged, hunted and held on to the rarest, strangest and most peculiar beers that they could get their hands on for this event.
The Details: This massive event starts at 5pm on Friday, October 28th, and continues on through Saturday evening. To keep you entertained, there will be music at 9pm on Friday by the River City Roustabout, and at 9pm on Saturday by The Hot Magnolias. It should be a fun event, but if I know you, I know you’re curious about one thing: Beer.
- Warped Wing – Cask conditioned Irreverant Red IPA w/ Habanero and Lychee – A special cask conditioned version of Warped Wing’s Red IPA with habanero and lychee, this beer was made exclusively for the event.
- Dark Horse Scary Jesus Rock Star Pale Ale – This is a collaboration beer made with Chef Cleetus Friedman of Chicago’s Fountainhead will save your soul and then melt your face off. Aromas of chamomile touch your nose as they lead into the soft body and mouthfeel of this liquid symphony. Just as your mind is clear and your sins are washed away, a tasty riff of sweet and earthy fresh apricots hit your palate and rock your tastebuds finishing dry and hoppy. Drink, Rock, Repeat.
- Alesmith Evil Dead Red Pale Ale – Each Halloween Ale Smith releases this special concoction. Deep blood-red in color, an intense aroma of pine and citrus from an abundance of American hops balances the sweetness and rich, bready flavors of this beer‘s caramel malts.
- Rhinegeist Mushushu – A blend of 4 black beers— INK, PANDA, BERTHA, & PANTHER, aged in wood barrels over 6 months.
- 50 West Home Sweet Home – An American brown ale that includes ingredients that would be found in a sweet potato pie like cinnamon, sage, molasses, pecans, and of course, sweet potatoes.
- Jackie O’s PawPaw Wheat – The paw paw fruit, the tropical tree fruit and native fruit of Ohio, is something we take great pride in. Paw paw trees flourish in Athens’ temperate climate and produce a one-of-a-kind experience in our beer. Flavors of mango, banana, and a touch of melon
- Clown Shoes Chocolate Sombrero Imperial Stout – Roasted dark malts plus extra chocolate malts plus ancho chile plus cinnamon plus organic vanilla extract plus a chocolate eating, beer drinking, Clown Shoes wearing, multi limbed, gorgeous and glorious Mexican wrestler on the label. That’s the recipe for a Chocolate Sombrero!
- Madtree Smores Gratitude Stout – A Chef Series collaboration with Grateful Grahams melds the flavors of a S’more into a balanced stout with notes of chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallow.
- Urban Artifact Pickle Gose – Gose brewed with Dill and Cucumber
- Northpeak Mellow Wheat – Wheat beer with Cherry and Hibiscus
- Rivertown Death – A high-gravity Russian Imperial Stout brewed from a blend of dark malts and Jolokia peppers (Ghost Chili Peppers).
- Stillwater Extra Dry – Brewed with rice and designed to mimic the subtle and drinkable flavors of sake.
- Evil Twin Sanguinem Aurantiaco – Sour IPA with Blood Oranges added.
- Schmaltz He’Brew Funky Jewbelation 2016 – 9.4% ABV Barrel-Aged Sour. A unique blend of seven ales and lagers from the Shmaltz beer line-up, aged in bourbon and rye whiskey barrels. Funky Jewbelation glistens a deep ruby color with a big, tart, sour cherry flavor and a malty earth aroma. A lovely puckering is complemented by subtle hints of bourbon, charred wood, molasses and light notes of vanilla. The 7 Beers in the blend… Origin – Imperial Amber Ale w/ Pomegranate Juice (aged 10 months) · Bittersweet Lenny’s R.I.P.A. (aged 6 months) · Messiah Nut Brown Ale (aged 8 months) · Rejewvenator 2014 (aged 11 months) · Death of a Contract Brewer (aged 16 months) · Bock Bock (aged 7 months) · Chanukah in Kentucky (aged 8 months)